Our Camp Honoraria Program provides financial support to Burning Man camps needing assistance to return to the playa in 2023.
Storage through August 2022 is $7,254 and right now we have about $900 in our account.
– Death Guild Thunderdome, 1/28/21 Public Statement
We here at Burner Network all read Death Guild Thunderdome’s announcement back in January explaining why their camp would not be attending Burning Man in 2021. While we were struck by how eloquently they outlined the concerns many of us have about a return to the playa, the quote above really jumped out at us.
We thought to ourselves, “If Death Guild, one of the most well-known and well-loved camps, has a funding hole, what are all the other camps going to do?” The Burning Man Project has a well-funded Black Rock City Honoraria Program providing $1 million in funding for art installations on the open playa, but there’s nothing similar to this for camps. This is where the Camp Honorarium Program comes in.
For this, the second year of the program, we’re targeting raising and granting up to $25,000 for camps for the 2023 cycle.
Some key details are:
- Size: $1,000-$5,000 per camp
- Eligibility: any camp currently in good standing with Burning Man’s Placement department
- Timeframe: grants will be given to camps looking to return to Black Rock City in 2023
- Use of Funds: to support the provision of camps’ public-facing interactivity efforts (particularly those related to art and education interactivity)
- Application Deadline: we’re now accepting and reviewing applications on a rolling basis
Previous Grant Recipients
The program awarded grants totaling $12,000 in funds to 11 different theme camps and mutant vehicle camps who attended Burning Man in 2022. To read about the grants we provided, check out this blog post.
- If you’d like to donate money towards the program, please visit Donate.
- If you’d like to apply for a grant from the program, please visit Apply for a Grant.
- If you’d like to volunteer to serve on our Grant Committee, please visit Volunteer.